Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Claire de Lune by Christine Johnson


Claire de Lune by Christine Johnson

Release: AU May, 2010
Series: Claire de Lune [Book One]
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 336
Source: Purchased
Rating: 2/5

Claire is having the perfect sixteenth birthday. Her pool party is a big success, and gorgeous Matthew keeps chatting and flirting with her as if she's the only girl there. But that night, she discovers something that takes away all sense of normalcy: she's a werewolf.

As Claire is initiated into the pack of female werewolves, she must deal not only with her changing identity, but also with a rogue werewolf who is putting everyone she knows in danger. Claire's new life threatens her blossoming romance with Matthew, whose father is leading the werewolf hunt. Now burdened with a dark secret and pushing the boundaries of forbidden love, Claire is struggling to feel comfortable in either skin. With her lupine loyalty at odds with her human heart, she will make a choice that will change her forever? - (goodreads)

My Review:
I originally came across this book while reading a teen magazine at the supermarket. The idea of female werewolves kind of intrigued me, especially because of all the Twilight hype that has been around recently. I purchased it and kind of put it aside for a while. Then, when NYE rolled around, and I set myself the task of reading more this year, this book seemed a good a book as any to start.

Having been out of my teens for a couple of years, when I started reading, the idea of a 16 year old girl with a secret crush and who wanted to be normal seemed kind of foreign to me. But, I never leave a book half read, so I continued, waiting for the action to start. Sorry to say, the action did take a while. The majority of the book was spent with Claire meeting up on secret rendezvous with her love interest Matthew Engle, while sneaking off with her mother at night to secret werewolf meetings.

At the beginning of each chapter, there where small ‘thoughts’; to whom they belonged was not made explicit, but I did figure out the basic concept fairly quickly. During the last quarter of the book was when, for me, it started to get interesting. With werewolves attacking werewolves, werewolves being captured by humans, and the prospect of Claire’s entire world being exposed, I actually found myself Wanting to read more. I had already kind of predicted the ending, but it was still good to come to the end of the book. *sidenote: this is not the end of the story, Nocturne, coming August 2011, is the sequel to this book.

Rating:
Overall, I found it hard to connect with the characters and situations in this story (yes, I do understand it's fiction). The book was very slow reading, with a dramatic, yet unfinished ending. If I had to recommend this book, I’d suggest a reader audience of 13-16yrs. I would also suggest an interest in werewolves.

Have you read Claire de Lune? What did you think?
-Alisa

No comments:

Post a Comment